Friday, November 5, 2010

noise

Before the election on Tuesday, I had many conversations and saw many facebook posts in which people couldn't wait for Wednesday, when the noise of negative election ads would go away.  I admit that I agreed with people about the weariness that negative political advertising causes.  After you've seen these ads a couple of times, what is truth and what is only claimed as truth becomes so blurred that my response is to tune everything out.  The mute button on my remote helps with that, but it doesn't completely prevent the noise because I can still see the tv (and I have to watch to see when the commercials are over.  Even on fast-forward, the tackiness has an effect).

Now that the elections are over, bliss, right?  Not so much.  The thing I didn't notice before was that the political commercials were crowding out equally annoying commercials for prescription drugs, money lenders, credit report subscriptions, and lawyers.  This dawned on me when my ears were accosted with a J.G. Wentworth opera commercial.

Our lives are filled with noise.  Political noise, commercial noise, work noise.  It is rare when we can take a few moments and let the silence reign.

How can we possibly listen to God when the noise never quits?

Find a way to tune out the noise and tune into God.  Quiet moments are few and far between, but we need to carve out those quiet moments on a daily basis.  Don't let the noise overtake your life.

Practice your faith every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment